Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

I'm with you, wondering. Evan and I stay in touch. We had been emailing a lot lately until about a week or two ago, when his replies abruptly stopped. At first I thought he was just busy with something, but as time passes, I grow increasingly concerned.

Well, until you said this, I just figured it was a "life intrudes" type of thing, and he'd be back. Now your comments make one wonder.

russellc

Hey everybody. I've been part of the AK forum for a while now but only recently found this thread. I've jumped through only about 2% of the 837 pages so that will have to be a more long term casual read for me to get completely caught up.

So if somebody has asked a similar question I'm sorry in advance.

I had a pair of Klipsch KG 4.2's. When we made our cross country move to Washington state we had no room in the moving truck for the speakers.

I loved them way to much to lose them so I pulled the drivers and the crossovers out of the cabinets and had to leave the cabs behind.

The other day I pulled them out to make some measurements for a new build using the parts I have.

I knew from when I first got them one of the horns was blown...the other one that still worked...sadly the terminals had snapped off in the moving box. :(

I began looking for options for replacements...I have considered a pair of bob crites titanium domes...but after some research I think I will go a different route.

I am considering doing the Selenium 220Ti drivers with the econowaves. Considering that they are 8ohms like the stock tweets, and seem to match up well with everything.

I am planing to use the stock crossovers and plan to replace the old capacitors.

Any thoughts on this possible change?

Please keep in mind that new crossovers at this point are out of the question because of simple WAF budget. I could add Lpads but considering how efficent the stock woofers are they may not be nessicary.

I'm with you, wondering. Evan and I stay in touch. We had been emailing a lot lately until about a week or two ago, when his replies abruptly stopped. At first I thought he was just busy with something, but as time passes, I grow increasingly concerned.

I also have been concerned with Zilch's absence. Lets hope all is well at the Spa.

To brianabingto:
I wouldn't change to the Econowave tops without also changing the crossover. Its not gonna sound right. Part of the "trick" to Econowaves sounding good is that the crossover corrects for the falloff of treble volume from the point the horn kicks in as the frequency rises. If you have to stick with the current crossover I'd look into replacing or fixing your ailing drivers instead inexpensively. I'm currently in the process of converting a pair of KG 5.5s to Econowaves and am replacing the horns and drivers in mine as well as the crossovers. I'm hoping to have them done in the next several weeks. After looking into all the options to improve my KGs I finally decided that I needed to either go with the complete crossover replacement and Ti diaphragms from Mr. Crites or go with an Econowave conversion - the stock crossover is pretty cheesy compared to the Crites version. After mulling it over I decided to go the Econowave route.

Last edited:
Anyone over here ever get anything going with those Klipsch buyout drivers?

I would love to buy some crossover parts and put a few together but wanted to at least have one reference to go off of...:music:

Heathkit AS-101 Inside Dimensions

New econowave project here. I want to econowave my Heathkit AS-101 speakers (8 ohms). As you all know, these are similar to the Altec Valencia 846A speakers (16 ohms) that have the 811a horn mounted inside a rectangular cutout. The horn takes up most of the space in the cutout and the remaining uncovered area (vents) are the tuning ports for the woofer.

I have been running the AS-101's with the bolt-on Selenium 220Ti drivers on the 811a horns and original recapped crossovers.

I hope to fit a QSC 152i waveguide (I have coming from a fellow AKer) with my bolt-on 220Ti drivers to a new baffle board (it will be a tight fit if it fits at all).

Instead of having the original "horn-port combo", I want to make round ported vent tubes like on the Valencia 846B. Here is a link to the 846B drawing showing square shaped ported vent tubes, however, nowhere have I found evidence that square vent tubes were ever installed by the factory.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/plans/1974-enc-design/page23.jpg

I have searched but cannot find the ID and length of the 846B round ported vent tubes. Is it possible the dimensions on the drawing above are correct, it is just the depiction of a square tube rather than round that is in error?

The inside dimensions of the Heathkit AS-101 cabinets are 26.125" high x 23.5" wide x 16" deep.

There appears to be enough room for the QSC 152i waveguide on the front panel with the woofer and still have room for two ports.

Has anyone a spare QSC 152i waveguide they can sell me? I donated one to PE to see about getting a replacement model going, but that broke up a set I had intended for a current build I have going. Otherwise, I'll need to wait on what PE can come up with or on the SEOS15 that ErichH is working up.

Hey everybody. I've been part of the AK forum for a while now but only recently found this thread. I've jumped through only about 2% of the 837 pages so that will have to be a more long term casual read for me to get completely caught up.

So if somebody has asked a similar question I'm sorry in advance.

Any thoughts on this possible change?

Please keep in mind that new crossovers at this point are out of the question because of simple WAF budget. I could add Lpads but considering how efficent the stock woofers are they may not be nessicary.

Well, without the crossover, you dont have E'wave and it wont be what is written about here. That said, it will no doubt play, but the resulting sound will be from listenable to something worse. The compensation wont be there for the Selenium, crossover points will be different. I dont know where the Klipsch crosses over, but if much lower than E'waves, the Selenium wont like that, sound and reliability suffering. If the crossover point is ok, at least you could play it until the crossovers can be built. The crossover isnt that expensive, so when funds allow it will be a great upgrade! In the mean time I would get all the info on your bass driver you can, and inquire to those here sharper than I as to the compatibility of what you want to build. If your Klipsch is a 2 way, it'll likely work. I'll bet Gordon could add to this, and may be familiar with the specific driver.

Russellc

Hi i am thinking about making a set of these using my Beovox 3702 boxes but a few things i dont understand.

i am planning on putting Eminence BETA 8 8ohm 8" 225watt Speakers in them but dont understand how the x-overs are meant to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Beta 8 is a good midrange speaker... but it's not going to have much bass below about 80 Hz.

What about the crossovers don't you understand? How to match with the woofer?

Regards,
Gordon.

I didnt even look at the frequency (what an idiot), ok then ill have to find other woofers. I'm looking at 8" - 200w - down to about 40/50hz, any suggestions.

And as for the x-over. The more i look the more confused i get. High pass/Lowpass, Active/passive, and what the frequency should be. theres just so many out there.

Back
Top Bottom