What is a very good 15" 4 ohm woofer?

Jcricket

not someday, but today
Subscriber
I posted this in DIY and didn't get much response. I probably should have posted it here.

As many of you know I am about to build a set of cornscala's. Actually, they are going to be cornscaltec's. I am looking for a 4 ohm 15" woofer. I am putting a fair amount of time, energy, and capitol in this project so I would like to get the best bang for the buck speaker possible.

So far these are the components going into the system.
Crites cornscala crossover
Selenium d220ti - 16 drivers
Altec 811b horns
Crites ct125 tweets or selenium d210ti drivers with selenium horn - haven't decided yet.

I still need to purchase the woofers. I am seriously looking at Crites 15" cast frame woofer for the project. It may be just fine. I would like opinions if any one has one on what tehy would consider the best speaekr for the job.

The goal is to get a very efficient, clean, tight and deep bottom end.

So what say you good folk?

Hey DC,
Thanks!
I looked at that unit, but I think the SPL is too low. I think the spl needs to be around 97db+

I'll keep looking

What happens if you use an ohm woofer with an xover desinged for 4 ohm? I imagine the inductance/impedance of the woofer is part of the circuit and hterefore it has a signiificant affect on the crossover point. Not to mention it will likely operate at 3db lower than if it were a 4ohm unit.

8 ohm woofer on 4 ohm crossover usually either results in a too-high crossover point (for first-order crossovers) or a big peak in the upper end of the driver range (with second-order or higher crossovers).

You really need to have the right impedance woofer to get the crossover "damping" right, so that you don't get big "whoop-de-doos" in the frequency response.

Personally... IMHO, if you're using the Crites crossover, his woofer would be a good choice. It's already dialed in to work properly.

Regards,
Gordon.

Thanks Gordon,
Thati s kind of what I thoiught, but I felkt it best to aks rather than assume. So a Crites it is.

Back
Top Bottom