Boston Acoustics MC-1E setup

whyaskit

music.
Boston Acoustics MC-1E - questions, info?

I recently bought a trashed turntable because it had a interesting looking cartridge on it. It said Boston on the front like the Boston Acoustics logo. I looked it up and found very little, mainly just a passing mention. The model number, MC-1E is on top of the cart. It also says - Japan - and -eliptical - I believe this is a MC cart.

After setup this thing skips as it gets closer to the center of the record untill it is not playing at all. I am guessing this is due to wear? Anyone have eny information about this cart, is it worth a retip? any suggesions on where I would go or look?

The tt is playing perfectly right now with a Ortofon OM10, so the table is sound.

TIA, all of my experence is with MM and their user replaceable stylus. I am afraid this thing is probably worthless, but thats the gambles one takes when looking for finds on the cheap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• june 2007 boston MC-1E 002.jpg
    june 2007 boston MC-1E 002.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 127
  • june 2007 boston MC-1E 006.jpg
    june 2007 boston MC-1E 006.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 125
When all else fails, try the cartridgedb.com. From the mediocre specs I'd say it's a thrower awayer.

Boston Acoustics
MC1e Type
HO Moving Coil Output (1Khz 50 mm/sec)
2.5 mv Freq Response
20Hz - 20kHz Output Impedance
?? ohms Load Impedance
47k ohms L/R Separation 1kHz > 23db
L/R Balance 1kHz < /db Stylus Tip
Elliptical (0.3 x 0.7mil) Cantilever
Thin walled extruded aluminum alloy
Dynamic Compliance ??
Static Compliance ???
VTF 1.8gm
Mass: 5gm

whyaskit said:
I recently bought a trashed turntable because it had a interesting looking cartridge on it. It said Boston on the front like the Boston Acoustics logo. I looked it up and found very little, mainly just a passing mention. The model number, MC-1E is on top of the cart. It also says - Japan - and -eliptical - I believe this is a MC cart.

After setup this thing skips as it gets closer to the center of the record untill it is not playing at all. I am guessing this is due to wear? Anyone have eny information about this cart, is it worth a retip? any suggesions on where I would go or look?

The tt is playing perfectly right now with a Ortofon OM10, so the table is sound.

TIA, all of my experence is with MM and their user replaceable stylus. I am afraid this thing is probably worthless, but thats the gambles one takes when looking for finds on the cheap.

attachment.php

attachment.php
What brand was the trashed table you got this cartridge from? What condition is the dust cover?\
Thanks.

It was a crappy Fisher MT35c that I am planning on using as a DIY cleaner. It did not have a dust cover (at least there was not one when I got it.) It was yard sale buy, the wife was cleaning house. I only paid a $2 us. The headshell in the picture was not a part of the table, it is an extra I had and used it to see if the cart was working.

Howard, thanks for the information, I am not out much, I felt it was worth a chance. I didn't know about that site, I'll have to keep that one in mind and searches were not bringing up a whole lot.

I've got one. I bought it new in its factory box sealed for $33.00 on ebay a couple of years ago. The price tag on the box was $160.00 and that was back in 1986. I really like it and prefer it over my M97xe. It is a moving coil but there is absolutly no info on this cartridge. I did find out that it didn't sell well and was discontinued shortly after its release. There is also a Van DeHul(sp?) version. The e stands for eliptical stylus. I can find the specs if you want them. If your going to trash it I would take it off your hands.

On closer inspection the cart uses the same body and stylus/catilever specs as the Sumiko Blue Point No.2. I would assume that it was produced for Boston Acoustics by Sumiko. I'm not sure when the Blue point with this body style came out, but I think this pre dates it.

Interesting, I have a couple of different Sumilo carts, one is a Blue Point Special, not the regular Blu Point.

I never threw it away, but I have done anything with it since I got it.

Never a good idea to rely on specs alone to evaluate any equipment. Consumer reports came up with a bizarre list of best value cartridges based on only specs. Owning a number of those cartridges showed me how bizarre the list was as far as my ears were concerned.

I've yet to hear a moving coil cartridge that wasn't a step up from most moving magnet cartridges so this one is probably worth the effort as long as it isn't too worn to use.

Back
Top Bottom