Search results

1. T

Opinions about the Oppo UDP-203 as an audio player?

Hope this is in the right forum, I tried a search and found no posts here about the Oppo UDP-203. I need a new audio disc player and would like to cut down to one device to play DVD/Blu-ray discs as well as audio discs. The old line Oppo "BDP" players (103-105) were very well respected as audio...
  2. T

Need to replace AT-OC9/MLII

Hello! Broke the stylus off of my AT-OC9/MLII cart over the holidays. Since they cannot repair it, Audio-Technica will replace it for $288.00. I'd seen an earlier thread regarding 3rd party repair of these carts and the costs are pretty similar and AT's price is about $50.00 less than another...
  3. T

Sticky Fingers coming remaster

I did a quick search on this but didn't get any hits so apologies if this has been discussed in a previous thread. There has been a lot said about the quality or lack of same on most pressings of this LP. I see that there will be a new remaster release on heavy vinyl coming the second week in...
  4. T

Need a switch that would let me input SS or Tube Amp to one set of speakers

I have been trying on and off to find a passive switch that I could connect speaker outputs from my SS and Tube amp to that would let me output to a single pair of speakers and control volume with my Pre. I have to think there is such a thing but all of my attempts to think of what name to...
  5. T

Oppo 103 vs. 105 Is it worth twice the price?

I've been thinking for some time about dropping my CD player for a Blu-ray capable universal player. It'll save some space in my cabinet and definitely be an upgrade to both my audio and video systems. Oppo has been the brand I thought I'd go with since I began looking into this. In my home...
  6. T

Tom Laughlin - aka Billy Jack dies

Kind of a hokey series of movies but a great example of self written, directed and produced movies that had a great impact on the culture of the time. RIP Tom.
  7. T

The Crazy world of Arthur Brown blew up my Yaqin!

I was listening to XM Radio this evening while getting dinner ready. I was in the kitchen and "Fire" was playing, I was stirring the tomato soup and all of a sudden the damnedest racket was heard. I ran out to the living room in time to see the light fading from the tubes and catch a whiff of...
  8. T

Vinyl - Does ANY damned pressing of Sticky Fingers sound good?

I'm looking to buy another vinyl copy of The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers and was just wondering if there was any particular pressing or origin (Japanese, MOFI, British) that is better sounding in my fellow AK'ers opinion.
  9. T

Directv Genie DIY install?

Anyone install a Genie DVR and mini-genies in their home? We negotiated an upgrade to one of these and 2 mini's but were told since we were getting it at no cost, we'd have to connect it all. Since we have existing dish and wiring I'm guessing that it'll be a straight forward replacement but I...
  10. T

So long Ray Harryhausen

Just saw that Ray Harryhausen has passed away. Even though his effects may seem quite unremarkable now, they were certainly something in their time. His credits span pretty much all of the years that I actually paid attention to movies. R.I.P. Ray.
  11. T

Jailtime - Marantz re-cap excellent

Just wanted to thank Kyle (Jailtime) here in the feedback forum for his work on my Marantz 2230. It looks and sounds great. I would recommend him to anyone and hope to work with him again in the future.
  12. T

Advice on repairing female RCA Jack?

Hi all, I have an issue with a Luxman C-120A preamp. Due to over-tight interconnects, I've pulled off the metal cover on a couple of the female RCA jacks on the back. I'm afraid that any interaction that I would have with a soldering iron to do a proper replacement would result in either...
  13. T

2330 - No right channel on FM Stereo

Hello fellow AK'ers, I just bought a very cosmetcally nice 2330. It sounds great except for one thing. On the FM function, in stereo mode I have a very weak right channel. In mono mode, all's well. I've fiddled with the input selector, the speaker setting (main/remote), the mono/stereo button...
  14. T

KT88 recommendations?

Hi, I'm going to pull the trigger and buy a Yaqin MC-100B. I have a tube conditioner that uses 6sn7's which this amp also uses so I've picked up a few sets of those (new Chinese and vintage US made) but was wondering what the folks here might recommend as an upgrade for the KT88's that are...
  15. T

Bought Grant Fidelity Tube Processor

I just pulled the trigger and bought a B283 MKII. Any reviews I saw seemed favorable for both the device and the seller. Does anyone in the forum have any advice or thoughts to share about this piece of equipment, or better still about tube upgrades you've tried? Thanks in advance, Keith
  16. T

Need information about Sony 60-in. TV's

Help! I'm shopping for my first LCD television and I'm totally lost in Sony's Model Number Maze. What I'm trying to figure out is; Is the model KDL-60NX810 this year's model and the KDL-60NX800 last years? Shopping locally, I've found an 800 for $3999, but a competitor adivses me to wait until...
  17. T

Questions about new RTR tape

Hi, I have been thinking about buying a couple of new RTR tapes but am uncertain about what brand/type would work best on my Teac A-2300S. It has a bias selector switch with two positions "High" and "Normal". I have several reels of TDK Audua that came with the unit but I'm just not certain what...
  18. T

Wabbit Wecipe's?

I did a search on this Forum and didn't really see anything along this line so I thought I'd post the question. Here's the story... We have a dog who later in life started having almost continuous rashes. We have found out that he has food allergies that were the cause. We're keeping his diet...
  19. T

Table, Cart for 78 playback

Hi Folks, I tried to search for "78" and "78 RPM" but didn't turn anything up so I hope I'm not starting something that's been thoroughly flogged before. I have recently come in to a pretty large bunch of 78's all of which seem to be in playable condition. I never had a turntable since my...
  20. T

Good Gas Grill?

Please pardon me and direct me to the archives if this subject has been discussed to death. I usually hang around the Turntable and General Audio Forums and haven't ventured into this one much at all. I've only owned inexpensive grills like Char Broil, Sears and most recently, Coleman Gas...
  21. T

New to Moving Coil

Hello, I posted a thread a few weeks ago concerning cartridge suitable for use on a Music Hall MMf-7. My attempt to buy that used table failed so instead I bought a new MMF5.1 which should be delivered Friday. From experience with my old MMF-2, I was not impressed with the Goldring cartridge...
  22. T

Cart recommendation for Music Hall MMF-7

Hi, I'm looking at upgrading my well used Music Hall MMF-2 with a used MMF-7. The 7 does not include a cartridge so I was going to use the AT440ML that I currently run on the 2. Does anyone have one of these tables (MMF-7) and have suggestions about a well matched cart? I do have MC capability...
  23. T

New Neil Young WEA/Reprise Vinyls

I just ordered copies of After the Goldrush and Harvest LP's. Anyone on the forum have them? Any reviews?
  24. T

"Universal" Players

Hi All, I've been thinking about upgrading my old Denon CD player recently and saw a comment in another forum I subscribe to about Universal Disc palyers (CD, DVD, HDCD, SACD, ad nauseum). Brand mentioned was Oppo. Does anyone here have experience with or comments about these critters? It...
  25. T

Good quality RCA jacks?

Hi, I'm hoping that people in this forum can give me some suggestions about some good RCA jacks to buy. I'm wanting to replace them on several pieces of gear that I have starting with my Nak RX-202 cassette deck. I have seen some for $30 to $50 which would be overkill for what I have but I'm...
Back
Top Bottom