Need a switch that would let me input SS or Tube Amp to one set of speakers

toomuchvinyl

I have been trying on and off to find a passive switch that I could connect speaker outputs from my SS and Tube amp to that would let me output to a single pair of speakers and control volume with my Pre. I have to think there is such a thing but all of my attempts to think of what name to search on come up with nothing or the usual one input to multiple speaker outputs.

Anyone have a suggestion to search on or know of such a switch?

Thanks,
Keith

I use a Russound AB 2.2 I picked up off ebay. I use it for the same thing, tube and ss amps into the same set of speakers.

Kind of pricey retail, I got lucky that there was one listed when I was looking. Niles Audio makes one too.

Thanks for the info on the Niles repomambo, I like the terminals on it better than the Russound but either one would work.

use two double pole double throw switches

For each channel, you basically are connecting two speaker wires to either the tube amp's outputs OR the solid state amp's outputs. Two toggle switches could do the job. One for left and one for right. Using two will enable one amp to power one speaker and the other amp to power the other one (should u care to do this) but it will also allow u to use either the tube amp or the ss amp to power both speakers. A 4 pole, double throw can Enable just a single switch to achieve what u want too. To be safe though, don't move the switch unless the amps are turned off or the speakers turned off (if ur amps have this feature). You can also build one using banana jacks and small jumpers with banana plugs on them. I wanted to do this years ago but never did. Kind of for a similar reason that you are.....to compare amps. Or if u are not comfortable with building one, simply buy one.

Thanks getter365, now I have 3 options to consider. I haven't done any DIY yet that involved soldering but I did buy a station from our friends at B+D enterprises. I'll see if I can work up the courage to put it to use one day. This switch project may be just the thing.

Yup - I have also have Russound switcher for the same exact purpose of switching between SS & tube amplifier.

If you plan on leaving the tube amp on while listening to the solid state one, I think you would want to have some kind of dummy load connected to the output. Tube amps don't like being left on without a speaker connected.

Lee.

If you use a 4 Pole Double Throw (4PDT) toggle switch you could switch between 2 amps and have the unused amp switch to a dummy load at the time of switchover. Since the unused amp would be idling, the dummy load could be as little as 8ohms at 5 watts.

If this interests you, let me know and I'll find some drawing software for the wiring diagram.

If you use a 4 Pole Double Throw (4PDT) toggle switch you could switch between 2 amps and have the unused amp switch to a dummy load at the time of switchover. Since the unused amp would be idling, the dummy load could be as little as 8ohms at 5 watts.

If this interests you, let me know and I'll find some drawing software for the wiring diagram.

I'm interested as well. So if you have a correct schematic that will protect the amplifier please do post it!
TIA

There is a Niles switch specifically to do the job you want, the Niles selector previously linked is a multi speaker selector. Differences internally could be important, as multiple speakers attached do not each create current into the box to contend with, while multiple amps could and do. Here is the link to the Niles two amp selector switch. http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.p...=Switching Systems&catcdID=10&prdcdID=FG00003 I have been using one for the same purpose that you describe for over a year and it does a great job and is extremely well built. One thing I always turn my tube amp off before switching away from it as you don't want to leave it unloaded, and I have never verified that this switch provides such a load. On the other hand the SS receiver has been frequently left on while using the tube amp without any issues. The speaker connectors are heavy lugs with a set screw to hold each wire and I don't believe they hold speaker wires bigger than #12.

Thanks Schmidlapper, The Niles switch looks like just what I need. I certainly take the advice not to leave the tube side unloaded and my purpose is not to do A/B comparison so that won't be a problem. As much as I love my Yaqin, I hate leaving my Luxman M120-A just sitting. Unfortunately it's a major operation to move the cabinet and switch the wires around and in the end you just have one connected so the switch is a perfect solution.

Mine is so I can switch my Main speakers between my 2 channel tube system and my AV surround system easily. The Niles is perfect for this purpose, it does one thing well and it looks and feels like a quality piece.

If you plan on leaving the tube amp on while listening to the solid state one, I think you would want to have some kind of dummy load connected to the output. Tube amps don't like being left on without a speaker connected.

Lee.

I strongly second this.

Back
Top Bottom