Sticky Fingers coming remaster

toomuchvinyl

I did a quick search on this but didn't get any hits so apologies if this has been discussed in a previous thread.

There has been a lot said about the quality or lack of same on most pressings of this LP. I see that there will be a new remaster release on heavy vinyl coming the second week in June.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything about this. Possibly a better sounding version at last or another disappointment?

If Bob Ludwig did it, I have high hopes (It'd be great if they found a spare 2nd master or something, like with LIB), although I hope it's not gonna' be just that Clear Vinyl thing like the way LIB is now (I hear about the old, Dutch-pressed 2003 180 "Let It Bleed" having been quieter and much less-problematic than the clear vinyl version, so I had worried about the same deal happening with "Sticky Fingers").

I always liked the '90's Virgin CD best for digital, although I also have a great vinyl rip as well. People often complain about SF being a "bad-sounding" recording, but it sounds great through my setup (My system is especially-Stones-friendly though, especially those mid-period albums).

The new CD and various Deluxe versions will likely use the highly compressed Universal digital remastering. But the outtakes, etc. sound as if they will be essential. There's a rough version of "Bitch" that, IMO, smokes the released version.

Not certain about the vinyl. There's always hope it will be less compressed than the Universal digital version. For example, ABKCO is releasing in June an all-analog 12" 45 rpm of "Satisfaction" with the US and UK b-sides on the b-side from the original master tapes. In glorious mono. I've pre-ordered.

As I've noted before, "Sticky" is no audiophile album, but who cares? The 90s Virgin CD is quite good and inexpensive. The Japanese SACD is fantastic and uses the original UK tapes. On LP, early UK versions are great, as are US Monarch "MO" pressings.

The real treat for me with the new "Sticky" is the unreleased stuff. The 1971 Leeds show in its entirety and in stereo for the first time. Best live version of "Midnight Rambler" if you ask me.

The real treat for me with the new "Sticky" is the unreleased stuff. The 1971 Leeds show in its entirety and in stereo for the first time. Best live version of "Midnight Rambler" if you ask me.

Or me. :yes:

I have Two of the original issue, frankly these don't get played much .. at all.
Seriously unimpressive music when brand new, let alone 30 + years later
Dunno what possessed me to buy 2 copies at the time.
I was expecting better.
Clearly the naivety of Youth.. what's your excuse :)

My MFSL SF was pressed in Japan for MFSL using master tapes yada yada. It represents, for me, the most I've shelled out for an album. "Can't you hear me knocking" is utterly mesmerizing at the proper volume.

^^^^

"Proper volume" being somewhere around 12, right? Might be the nastiest tune ever recorded.:thmbsp:

Kenn, is that the version from "Get Your Leeds Lungs Out"? Is that what will be released in it's entirety? I have that bootleg LP, always liked it. Thanks. I have Sticky on LP & CD, but if they are releasing old tour tapes I'm in.

Keep us informed!
I got that weird cased zipper pack Remaster Cd recently, and its quite good - but bonus tracks (and Live material!) from that era would def be nice to enjoy!

My MFSL SF was pressed in Japan for MFSL using master tapes yada yada. It represents, for me, the most I've shelled out for an album. "Can't you hear me knocking" is utterly mesmerizing at the proper volume.

^^^^

"Proper volume" being somewhere around 12, right? Might be the nastiest tune ever recorded.:thmbsp:

It seems we agree on "Knocking"!:thmbsp:

I've got the original zippered LP and the first CD re-issue. The CD is an example of everything that can be wrong with a re-issue.

I tried to look this up at Amazon and it looks like the 2 CD version is the overloud remaster, plus some alternate versions on CD2 ...
The only way I see to get the Leeds tracks is in the big box with 3 CDs, DVD, and vinyl for $150+ That one is too dear for me!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UN9PQN4?me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I just got a copy of the Virgin Sticky Fingers remaster in the weird plastic case -
musically that one sounds very good to us - so all I need is the Live at Leeds mterial.

Last edited:
I have Two of the original issue, frankly these don't get played much .. at all.
I was expecting better.

Mick Taylor... :ntwrthy:... :guitar:

I bought the same album many years ago. Your absolutely right about "knocking", talk about a classic intro, got to be in the top five.

I was expecting better.

I've got this album on vinyl. Two early pressings with the zipper and i personally think it sounds great. . Great music and pretty well recorded tbh. My favorite stones album.

Dead flowers and sister morphine don't work for you? Sell your copies and give them a home where they're appreciated ;)

Last edited:
Kenn, is that the version from "Get Your Leeds Lungs Out"? Is that what will be released in it's entirety? I have that bootleg LP, always liked it.

Entire concert and in stereo. The bootleg is mono and abridged. Right now the Super Deluxe is about $150 and that's the only version that has the Leeds show. I will eventually spring for it once I get past my wife's anniversary gift (gem "stones," alas).

On vinyl, I prefer the early UK LP or the Monarch "MO" US LP. And I've had the Japanese, most US early and later pressings, and the MFSL. The Japanese SHM-SACD is the best digital version and used the original UK master tapes.

Entire concert and in stereo. The bootleg is mono and abridged. Right now the Super Deluxe is about $150 and that's the only version that has the Leeds show. I will eventually spring for it once I get past my wife's anniversary gift (gem "stones," alas).

On vinyl, I prefer the early UK LP or the Monarch "MO" US LP. And I've had the Japanese, most US early and later pressings, and the MFSL. The Japanese SHM-SACD is the best digital version and used the original UK master tapes.

The Super Deluxe version is also available via download. MP3 but I'm ok with that. Picked up the Target(bad Sam!) package to have the Roundhouse show on cd. Already have the Leeds boot, but figured in stereo with the complete show was worth the download. Lists at $19, but for some reason Amazon only charged me $12.54.

Back
Top Bottom