KT88 recommendations?

toomuchvinyl

Hi,
I'm going to pull the trigger and buy a Yaqin MC-100B. I have a tube conditioner that uses 6sn7's which this amp also uses so I've picked up a few sets of those (new Chinese and vintage US made) but was wondering what the folks here might recommend as an upgrade for the KT88's that are supplied with this amp. I'm really new to tubes but have seen the impact that even a conditioner has had on my system so am anxious to try out an amp too. As you can see from my signature, I use a Luxman C-120A as a preamp as it does a really good job with the low output MC cartridge I use. I figured that I'd still just run from that pre through my Grant Fidelity conditioner to the Yaqin. Any thoughts on forum members experience with KT88's would be really appreciated.

Gold Lion KT-88 reissue

That is what I run in my PrimaLuna Dialogue Two and will tun in my Rogue Audio M-120s when the Sovteks in them crap out, which won't be long if the flashing getter is any indication.

I run Tung Sol 6550 reissues in my Mark III amps. Read a little about them. I think they sound great.

Hi,
I'm going to pull the trigger and buy a Yaqin MC-100B. I have a tube conditioner that uses 6sn7's which this amp also uses so I've picked up a few sets of those (new Chinese and vintage US made) but was wondering what the folks here might recommend as an upgrade for the KT88's that are supplied with this amp. I'm really new to tubes but have seen the impact that even a conditioner has had on my system so am anxious to try out an amp too. As you can see from my signature, I use a Luxman C-120A as a preamp as it does a really good job with the low output MC cartridge I use. I figured that I'd still just run from that pre through my Grant Fidelity conditioner to the Yaqin. Any thoughts on forum members experience with KT88's would be really appreciated.

MC-100B has deep enough global feedback (if you use front inputs). It means that changing tubes brands won't make much of a difference. You may try to use different TYPES of tubes, like KT120 or EL34. Also try to play with bias from low 30-35 to high 80-90 mA. It will make more difference.

Thanks for the replies. As I said I'm a newbie to tubes so the suggestion to try a different tube type and adjust bias was very interesting as well as the manufacturer recommendations. There sure is a great deal to learn about how tube designs work in addition to the sonic properties that varying brands have. I'm still watching so anyone with an opinion, please weigh in!

Back
Top Bottom