Wanting to start making my own premium power cables, suggestions?

saabracer23

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I’m wanting to start with making my own power cables, that way I have say on how long they are and such. For example, I’m rebuilding a Kenwood KA-9100 for my father and he is wanting to put a new power cable on it. I figured I could pick up some very good quality gauge cable put that on there. So basically I’m looking for 16, 14, and 12 awg cable. Pure OFC, or silver plating (not sure how that would help with power delivery). I’ve also heard/seen that there are shielded options which might be nice.

Any of you use or have suggestions where to look to get excellent bang for your buck bulk cabeling?

Dan

This company sells cloth covered lamp cord in various designs and color. You aren’t likely to find OFC or Silver plated wire there, but you can make a nice looking and functional power cord.

If you know someone in the computer/IT field, ask them.

Everyplace I have worked in this field throws away hundreds of power cords every year.
They are actually a nuisance.

I hang on to 12 ga, really long, and 90 degree angle plug cords, but toss the rest after filling a standard printer paper box.

try partsconnexion for high priced, not best bang for the buck cables.

Then try markertek for just regular power cables.

This company sells cloth covered lamp cord in various designs and color. You aren’t likely to find OFC or Silver plated wire there, but you can make a nice looking and functional power cord.

I did this with my CR-620 that I had bought with a cut power cord. The only problem was the original strain relief grommet is too small to fit the cloth covered lamp cord.

Bought some PG7 cable glands that will fit in the stock hole, with a little modification to the cable gland. Doesn't look original, but it is a very clean install and the cloth cord is a nice "resto-mod" addition.

Back
Top Bottom