Pilot console

hammondcrazy

Ok so I got this console, it was given to me by a lady who's Father moved into her house and she wants to sell the house. He and his wife had it since new. I have heard people talk about "Pilot" it has two dials one for FM one for AM and has a Garrard A-1 turntable It is very big and it is heavier than my Concert Grand. Are these consoles as good as a Concert Grand? the tuner receiver reminds me of my Fisher 800 has four tubes in the output and has huge transformers Looks like it was well made. but is it up there with the good ones like Stromberg Carlson or Fisher consoles? I love the cabinet.

It's right up there with the better known big boys. Is there a model number on the dial face? The model 654 had 7591 outputs and pretty hefty iron.

Ok so I got this console, it was given to me by a lady who's Father moved into her house and she wants to sell the house. He and his wife had it since new. I have heard people talk about "Pilot" it has two dials one for FM one for AM and has a Garrard A-1 turntable It is very big and it is heavier than my Concert Grand. Are these consoles as good as a Concert Grand? the tuner receiver reminds me of my Fisher 800 has four tubes in the output and has huge transformers Looks like it was well made. but is it up there with the good ones like Stromberg Carlson or Fisher consoles? I love the cabinet.

Better than Stromberg Carlson for sure :yes:

ehhh, iunno, S-C made some pretty nice stuff. Admittedly I've never owned any Pilot gear but S-C didn't make garbage either.

this one is called a "component console." I never owned SC stuff either,, there is one that I would love to own. it has the separate tuner and integrated amp. This receiver has huge transformers. the only thing I don't like is the side panels I noticed are made of OSB. but the rest is solid wood. I don't know the age of this stereo,, and it is in great condition so the OSB should not be an issue. but it is God awful heavy. It took three guys to load it.

It is an 8654 model. with a Garrard A-1 TT the speakers are like separate but bolted to a piece of wood it has a good sound.

The amp looks like this but mine I think have more switches

Attachments

• 3Ee3Jb3Ha5Ne5Eb5M1d5727c3e049bb9412e3.jpg
    3Ee3Jb3Ha5Ne5Eb5M1d5727c3e049bb9412e3.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 3K23Ld3Ha5L35K65Fad57d869b38ccc7e1d6a.jpg
    3K23Ld3Ha5L35K65Fad57d869b38ccc7e1d6a.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 74
  • fChHL.jpg
    fChHL.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 137
I looked at my tuner and the model number on mine is 654. if that tells anything. It has a lot of switches under all the knobs. and it has a stereo beacon on the bezel.

So,,,,,,,, is this a good tuner amplifier?? What drivers would this console have? and finally will a pair of Altec Lansings A-7s sound good hooked up to this stereo? as I haven't sold the speakers yet. May as well use them. Thanks for the info.

It should be a very nice receiver after the usual cleaning and updating. I think it's rated at 22 wpc which seems low for those huge transformers but the '62 Pilot catalog calls it a 44 watt receiver. You'll probably have to dig into it to find out what speaker drivers are in there. I think they used a variety.

yeah speaking about the Garrard, it has a magnetic cartridge. not like the one in my Clairtone which was ceramic. had that flip stylus this one has a 380 pickering. Sounds really nice. Johnny Mathis sounds awesome through that stereo. I hate to admit it,, but sounds better than my Concert Grand.

Yeah it sounds great. I thought it was a custom built unit but then I realized it was made by the company. I just don't understand why it is so heavy, my concert Grand has two amps pre-amp and remote control chassis and it is lighter than this Pilot which only has two chassis in it. I haven't moved it into the house yet it is in the garage. I can't move it myself and that is a first. After all the consoles I have lost this makes up for a lot of them.

WOW! I just picked up that same console!

If you want to part with that Garrard, please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom