Just pulled the trigger on a MC cart

arcorob

Addicted Member
Figured since I was PAST my momentary run toward tubes (dont need it), I wanted to get back to my MC goal...so ordered

Audio-Technica AT33PTGII - Double moving coil MC cart - supposed to be pretty incredible but have to wait at least 15 days for delivery...sheesh..talk about tease..

Improved boron pure tapered cantilever and lighter vibration system
High performance and life long Micro linear stylus(average 1000hours)
PCOCC coil with sub lead wire and PCOCC terminal pin
High separation and wide response dual moving coil
•Lightweight Vibration System
•AT33 Series double damper AT33 providing richer bass
•high-performace long-life micro-linear stylus
•PCOCC coil (single crystalline high purity oxygen free copper)
•Dual Moving Coil Seperation providing high-wide response
•VC mold to reduce unwanted vibration

Japan import: manual is in Japanese only + 1 year Japan warranty.

This is what she looks like

at33ptg2__41400_zoom.jpg

Thats awsome.Let us know how it sounds.Im a huge AT fan and would like to hear your thoughts after breakin ect..Any cartridge I have heard with boron material has been superb.Ihave a 180ML with Micro linear stylus and boron.Sounds amazing.180ML is a MM not MC.

Last edited:
AT Fan myself

Thats awsome.Let us know how it sounds.Im a huge AT fan and would like to hear your thoughts after breakin ect..Any cartridge I have heard with boron material has been superb.Ihave a 180ML with Micro linear stylus and boron.Sounds amazing.180ML is a MM not MC.

I have the AT150Mlx and an AT440Mla..have owned the 110e and the 95E...Just love the sound..think the 440 and the 150Mlx are just about heaven...but decided to try MC and i figured if I was going to then go with a really good one...so...This is a hot item in Japan and a good match for my AT-630 step up transformer I just acquired...very legacy..

I will certainly report back...what I am seeking? Wider & deeper sound stage than the other two ..a definitive difference...going to be hard to do because the 440 and 150 are simply amazing...:banana:

I have the AT150Mlx and an AT440Mla..have owned the 110e and the 95E...Just love the sound..think the 440 and the 150Mlx are just about heaven...but decided to try MC and i figured if I was going to then go with a really good one...so...This is a hot item in Japan and a good match for my AT-630 step up transformer I just acquired...very legacy..

I will certainly report back...what I am seeking? Wider & deeper sound stage than the other two ..a definitive difference...going to be hard to do because the 440 and 150 are simply amazing...:banana:

Please update us when you get that one into rotation. I've go my eye on it myself.

I will

Please update us when you get that one into rotation. I've go my eye on it myself.

There will be a head to head test vs my AT150Mlx..two turntables, same albums. Only thing is I wonder how long break-in is...The 150 didn;t seem to need it, was sweet from the get go..

Thanks

I just installed my new AT-33EV this weekend, and I'm pretty amazed at the sound quality. It's both rich and detailed, a perfect combination. Everything seems life-sized for the first time also -- bigger, much more solid, and very 3D. It sounds great from top to bottom, but the bass is particularly excellent, with tons of musical detail that I never knew existed.

The AT-33EV has a tapered, hardened aluminum cantilever and an elliptical stylus. I almost went for the OC9II or III, which were basically the same price, almost only because they have boron cantilevers and microline stylus, but I'm really glad I got the 33EV. It wasn't fiddly to set up at all, and sounded good after just a couple of album sides.

The output was a little low at first, but it increased to a normal level after a couple of hours' play. The sound kept improving too, to a point that was unbelievable to me on my system, since I've never heard anything like that.

It's a LOMC with 0.3mV output. What's the output of yours?

Not 100% sure

I just installed my new AT-33EV this weekend, and I'm pretty amazed at the sound quality. It's both rich and detailed, a perfect combination. Everything seems life-sized for the first time also -- bigger, much more solid, and very 3D. It sounds great from top to bottom, but the bass is particularly excellent, with tons of musical detail that I never knew existed.

The AT-33EV has a tapered, hardened aluminum cantilever and an elliptical stylus. I almost went for the OC9II or III, which were basically the same price, almost only because they have boron cantilevers and microline stylus, but I'm really glad I got the 33EV. It wasn't fiddly to set up at all, and sounded good after just a couple of album sides.

The output was a little low at first, but it increased to a normal level after a couple of hours' play. The sound kept improving too, to a point that was unbelievable to me on my system, since I've never heard anything like that.

It's a LOMC with 0.3mV output. What's the output of yours?

Not 100% sure but thought I read 0.4mV..but this site says 0.3 also...hard to get specs that are NOT in Japanese. Even the manual it comes with is supposedly in Japanese - Note alot of ???

Okay - It took some work because it is only on their Japanese website as a product but see how this works for you...give it a second to load and translate

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/...technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=367

I did some searching around the internet and found an interesting thread on this cart:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45579

You might want to check it out, as it has lots of opinions on tracking force and break-in. With my 33EV, I've found what others did with your new cart -- that is sounds amazing from about hours 2-4, then kind of loses its magic for 10 or so hours, then comes back better than ever. Tweaking tracking force is important it seems for dialing in the sound once it's broken in.

I'm about on hour 5 or 6, and it by no means sounds bad, but it definitely lost the magic it had that first (long) day of listening. The AT-33EV has a tracking force between 1.75-2.25, so I may try backing it off to 1.85 and see if that makes a difference. Your cart tracks lighter.

It looks like the carts are identical except for the boron cantilever and microline stylus. If yours sounds anything like mine, prepare to be amazed.

I'm using an AT33PTG/ii with the DIY HTMCPS pre detailed here on AK, and I used 0.3mv in the gain calculator and it's worked out fine (and might actually be a touch lower) so I think that is the proper value for the cart's gain.

I'd say the PTG's suspension is higher in compliance than you think, so giving it a whirl on your AT1100 tonearm may be worth checking out. I'm getting around 8Hz resonance on my 12g eff. mass Technics 1200mk2 arm.

Great great sound from this cart. I'm sure you're going to love it since you're a fan of AT (as am I).

I hadn't heard of the AT33PTGII. I have been lusting after a AT 33ev as a step up from my OC9MLII. Can anyone comment on the difference?

I'm using an AT33PTG/ii with the DIY HTMCPS pre detailed here on AK, and I used 0.3mv in the gain calculator and it's worked out fine (and might actually be a touch lower) so I think that is the proper value for the cart's gain.

I'd say the PTG's suspension is higher in compliance than you think, so giving it a whirl on your AT1100 tonearm may be worth checking out. I'm getting around 8Hz resonance on my 12g eff. mass Technics 1200mk2 arm.

Great great sound from this cart. I'm sure you're going to love it since you're a fan of AT (as am I).

What did you use for R2/R10? I'm using 300 ohms on my AT-33EV, which is also supposed to be 0.3 mV.

Now you guys got me excited

Can't wait to try it out...and I have a LONG wait...

Curious though...I don't think (I hope ) I have to worry on the cart settings as I am going to be using the AT-630 Step up transformer into my normal Phono inputs...Since it was designed for a 0.3 to 0.4 type MC I would think I am all set (please say thats so...lol)

Picture of the SUT with spec

Input impedance: 20 ohms or less
Output impedance: 47 kohms
Gain: 20 dB
Frequency response: 15 Hz - 100 kHz
THD: 0.05%, 15 - 100000 Hz
Dimensions: 46 x 119 mm

b.jpg

c.jpg

Given that your SUT was made by AT themselves, I would think you are good to go. The specs look right anyway.

Please do let us know how you like this cartridge. I need a more attainable 'dream' MC on my wishlist than an Ortofon SPU and their arm to go with it :)

Last edited:
What did you use for R2/R10? I'm using 300 ohms on my AT-33EV, which is also supposed to be 0.3 mV.

250 ohms, after plugging in 10 ohms for R1/R9 in the calculator. I think I need to move to 300 ohms in R2/R10 which should bring it up to where I think it should be. I run my pre into a studio mixer, so with the current resistors I just increased my gain trim a bit to compensate.

Just wondering if your cart came in yet. I'm continuing to be pretty well astonished at how good my AT-33EV is. I'm interested to know how your cart sounds.

You are killing me...LOL

Just wondering if your cart came in yet. I'm continuing to be pretty well astonished at how good my AT-33EV is. I'm interested to know how your cart sounds.

STILL waiting..it did say it had a LONG ship time but geeze...I could understand if it did not go out but it went right away...sigh..

Hey, this may be a silly question but doesn't hurt to ask. I have that AUDIO TECHNICA STEP UP TRANSFORMER (for MC carts to have the output of a reg cart)...That DOES go into my phono jacks, yes ? Not an AUX?

If it was a phono pre amp (Like my ART DJ PREII) I would know, hey, aux..but this is sort of new to me...Thanks...and I WILL keep you posted...You'll see a post that says ITS HERE ITS HERE...LOL

STILL waiting..it did say it had a LONG ship time but geeze...I could understand if it did not go out but it went right away...sigh..
Just a FYI regarding ordering from Japan....I ordered a Jico stylus for my V15III on 9/4, got notice that it shipped on 9/12, after about 10 days I ran the label number on the Japan Post site, it had last been scanned on 9/12 with no further info. On 9/28 nothing had changed, so I emailed Jico requesting a refund which they gave me right away, they were even under the impression that it may have been lost. Low and behold, it showed up yesterday 10/3. And yes, I did send the payment back to Jico, it wasn't their fault. This was shipped via Registered Airmail. I'd guess you should be seeing your package soon.

BTW, nice cart! I have a much older AT32(MC) that I like a lot, so it's hard to imagine you'd be disappointed with the new and improved. Recently I've been switching back and forth between the AT and the V15III/SAS, I think I favor the AT due to the reduced surface noise compared to the V15 combo. Still, that V15III with the SAS is tough to beat without moving farther up the $$ ladder.

Back
Top Bottom