moving coil vs. friendship

pqrannes

Tubes warm your heart too
I'm dealing with this dilemma:
The guy who sold me my Jealvox 3 way horn speakers (see: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52000) also had a Luxman TT for sale. It is a pd270 with an Ortofon mc 200 pu and a T-20 mc transformer and it could be bought for about 180 usd if you also took about 70 (not very interesting) records too.

My friend the H.C. Andersen illustrator heard about that and told me to buy it for him. The stuff was delivered to my address a few days ago. And now I regret. I should have bought it my self. The Lluxman looks real great. The seller has used this stuff for about 20 years without leaving any marks at all.

The Michell record clamp that came with it I took a side imeddiately (with a Denon test record), my friend doesn't have to hear about that.

I have a Thorens td-126 mk II (and a Rega Planar 2, a micro seiki dd-20, Sansui 2050 c and small Connaisseur TT) so I guess I can live without the Luxman.

But what about the moving coil pu and the transformer. Should I risk my friendship with the illustrator for that. And tell him that I got it and it is not for sale? Is the mc that much better than the other pu's I have (Ortofon concord 30 and vms 30 mk II)? Should I risk my friendship for this mc stuff? Please help me out on that one!

Peter, Denmark

In my opinion, it seems your friend bought a "package" of goods, and he is entitled to all of it.

You could delicately ask whether he is interested specifically in the turntable, and perhaps propose that he could consider a trade or some other deal for the components you are interested in.... but it should be his decision.

This site is all about Audio Karma. So pass the stuff along. Something better will cone along somtime.

Yep... You gotta do right by this man. You made a promise, and bad Karma rising up to bite you in the keister or not, you'll always know you didn't hold up your end of it. If you want the gear, offer to pay him a profit on it, or make some trades with him to square it up. It's the right thing to do.

Thx everyone,

I didn't intend to trick the stuff from my friend. I know this guy well enough to be able to discuss the matter with him in a civilised way. And by the way he ‘kept’ a Sansui au-7900 amp that I won on a national web auction and asked him to pickup few blocks from where he lives. He owes me there!

Basically what I wanted from you was to tell me if I should lie awake at night dreaming about the mc pu and the transformer or not.

But I really appreciate the energy and enthusiasm you put into this matter. I'm glad that you’ll advocate the only decent solution: involving my friend in the problem. This shows that this world - despite all we read in the papers and hear/see on the news – has a fair chance of staying uncorrupted.

Peter, Denmark

Last edited:
Good going Peter, I don't believe you'll regret it. I especially agree with your last statement, this world IS largely peopled by decent folks, it's a shame the news doesn't reflect it more often.

Yes you need to stick with deal you made; unless he happens to be willing to renegotiate at this point.

I have had similar issues with one of my friend's who has asked me to snag some stuff for him, and then decides that he doesn't like it after I have gone to the effort to aquire something. He always tries to back-out of the deal after several weeks of trying something out that he liked on my system. After having several similar experiences in a row with him now, I have decided that I simply will not sell anything to him anymore. Period.

When friends get all flakey about deals, then it is best to simply not to do any further business with them; or you may seriously risk your friendship.

pqrannes said:
But I really appreciate the energy and enthusiasm you put into this matter. I'm glad that you’ll advocate the only decent solution: involving my friend in the problem. This shows that this world - despite all we read in the papers and hear/see on the news – has a fair chance of staying uncorrupted.

Peter, Denmark

If you´re glad everybody advocates the only decent solution, how come you were suggesting the opposite to start with? Or were you not aware it was the only decent solution?
If friendship means anything ( not to mention honesty ) this question should not even have been put here in the first place, or were you trying to get some support for your initial and quite obvious guilt feelings?

And I strongly argue that with attitudes like the one proposed by your posting this world definitely does not have a fair chance of staying uncorrupted.
Jorge

pqrannes said:
Basically what I wanted from you was to tell me if I should lie awake at night dreaming about the mc pu and the transformer or not.

I happen to like the mc sound. Of course, that particular mc cartridge, I don't know about. Why don't you hook 'em up and give 'em a whirl. At least you may find out whether you want to make a purchase in the future or not...or collect on that Sansui amp...

Straight up dealing is best so get to trying and maybe bargaining.

hifi_nut said:
If you´re glad everybody advocates the only decent solution, how come you were suggesting the opposite to start with? Or were you not aware it was the only decent solution?
If friendship means anything ( not to mention honesty ) this question should not even have been put here in the first place, or were you trying to get some support for your initial and quite obvious guilt feelings?

And I strongly argue that with attitudes like the one proposed by your posting this world definitely does not have a fair chance of staying uncorrupted.
Jorge

Hi Jorge and all,

I've re-read my first post in this thread.
It is obvious that I used to much of the Danish speciality (no, it's not a cake), irony . I was of course never going to risk a friendship over some moving coil stuff. I just wanted to get some info on mc pu's. The friendship point of view was only to give this story some egde.

And yes, I'll give the stuff a listen, properly when my friend is around next time (he lives in the other end of the country) we'll discuss the matter over a beer as I've intented to rigth from the start.

Peter, Denmark, the home of Irony (read 'our' famous philosopher S. Kierkegaard and you will see what we are struggling with)

pqrannes said:
Hi Jorge and all,

I've re-read my first post in this thread.
It is obvious that I used to much of the Danish speciality (no, it's not a cake), irony . I was of course never going to risk a friendship over some moving coil stuff. I just wanted to get some info on mc pu's. The friendship point of view was only to give this story some egde.

And yes, I'll give the stuff a listen, properly when my friend is around next time (he lives in the other end of the country) we'll discuss the matter over a beer as I've intented to rigth from the start.

Peter, Denmark, the home of Irony (read 'our' famous philosopher S. Kierkegaard and you will see what we are struggling with)

Peter,
I´m glad it was only misinterpretation from my side, and in that case I owe you an apology.
I have a dry sense of humour and obviously didn´t catch the irony.
In my defense, however, i can only argue that had you used some of the icons available to underline your intentions I might not have made a fool out of myself.
As to the question regarding the cartridge and transformer, yes, I do believe that given that the stylus is in good condition it will clearly outperform your current cartridges, though those are no sloches either.
Regards,
Jorge

Last edited:
Hi Jorge,
:tresbon: I don't think you made a fool out of yourself. Our ‘dialogue’ is a true proof of that the real audiokarma-‘karma’ works. Glad this happened here at AK where more concrete (and often more technical) issues are on debate.

:thmbsp: And yes, I need to learn to use the little icons. I was looking at them but never got around them this time.

Obrigado!

:scratch2: Peter, Denmark

Back
Top Bottom