IMG_6543.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_6542.jpg
    IMG_6542.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_6541.jpg
    IMG_6541.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 687
Ah, man! You're lucky - those are the earlier versions. I'm officially jealous as I love that cabinet design. They're much more elegant with the framing around the grills than the newer variants.

I think those grill foams are original although I can't really see yours too closely in your pics. Here's my 1.5's and a close up of the grill foam texture.

recentpictures011xo9.jpg

recentpictures012xr7.jpg

So you are the one who snagged those, nice find. Bet they sound pretty nice. I'm holding out for a pair of DLK 4's :D

Unless my eyes deceive me the tweeter doesn't look original...but I could be mistaken.

Unless my eyes deceive me the tweeter doesn't look original...but I could be mistaken.

I would have to agree with you, ARguy. :yes: Based on my general observations of the DLKs I've encountered including my 1.5's. The tweeters should be of the phenolic ring type. They pop up every now and again online, in fact I got a NOS pair for $15 a few months ago.

recentpictures013ne1.jpg

Tweeter is a Philips, me thinks. Fine tweeter, as long as it integrates with the system properly.

guts nudie shots

Here are a few pics of the tweeter
the dampening inside
&
The crossover

1st
The tweeter looks just fine. One unit seems to have quite a bit more "high" **tiss tiss** then the other
2nd
The dampening inside seems to be both super Krusty and falling apart. Does it matter, or can that stuff just keep on doing it's job?
3rd
and Lastly
The crossover. I deOx'd both pots on both units. I, being a n00b, cannot tell if the caps are bad or not.

Attachments

• IMG_6560.jpg
    IMG_6560.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_6561.jpg
    IMG_6561.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6566.jpg
    IMG_6566.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_6575.jpg
    IMG_6575.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_6578.jpg
    IMG_6578.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 141
Bad caps will exhibit leaks, ends burst open and / or bulging...sorta like a frozen soda can that's swollen. I'd recap them if they're the originals. My $ .02

good luck finding those model 4's.
i thought i found some this summer,until the guy hit me with his price
4,000.00 maaaaaybe 3500.00
they're cool,but they ain't that cool!

I believe those are the correct tweeters for the 3's.

Now if you could just find a pair of the Janzen made ULM's for the tops!

Now if you could just find a pair of the Janzen made ULM's for the tops!

Would you clarify what that means for a new guy?

These?
027-908m.jpg

The current caps are (please excuse me):
47uF 50V axial
While shopping for these I run along a large gap in price.
Can I run a 47uF with a higher, let's say a, 400V ?
I'll put that out there...
:ntwrthy:

This post does bring back memories. 3's were my first "real" speaker. I bought them in 1974-75 they were prototypes from DLK direct. They didn't even have veneer on them. Drove with a Pioneer SX-6xx something. You can only guess how my parents felt about it when I got them home and cranked up some ELO and Steve Miller. The tweeters also caught my eye but it's been to long to remember if these are the real McCoys or not. It does seem that I replaced them a time or two and then something else was suggested- been to long to remember for sure.

I think what Gary is referring to are some electrostatic arrays that you set on top of the speakers. If you search the Events and Happenings forum and find the Twin Cities mini-fest at Doucanoe's, there's some pictures of the arrays. They look like radiator fins resting on top of the speakers.

I think what Gary is referring to are some electrostatic arrays that you set on top of the speakers. If you search the Events and Happenings forum and find the Twin Cities mini-fest at Doucanoe's, there's some pictures of the arrays. They look like radiator fins resting on top of the speakers.

That is correct! I'll see if I can find a picture.

To Add to the tweeter talk those Phillips are much better than the ones used in the 1.5's IMO.

More fun with DLK3s

It is good to see that there are still some nice examples of 3s out there to be had. I do still enjoy mine. The tweeter pictured below seems a bit different from the one pictured earlier. Maybe an earlier/later variation. Good snag for $100! :yes:

Attachments

• DLK3 002__1.JPG
    DLK3 002__1.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 88
  • DLK3 003_2.JPG
    DLK3 003_2.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 157
Mine have the Snelling Ave Minneapolis location on the crossover. From other threads, I ascertain that was the early location.

For general info...

The serial numbers on these are 4462 and 5539. They also note the 3140 Snelling Ave S. MPLS MN address. Please share your serial numbers to see if there may be a change in drivers in earlier/later units, or perhaps a replacement throughout the years. I have no idea if the 3s I have are stock or not. I have noticed that the 1 1/2s went through several variations, so both sets may very well be as the factory sent them to the Schaak showroom. Any insights are welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom