Kyocera R-861 receiver- impressions and pictures

kotofei

permanent gear evolution
A month or so ago I scored a Kyocera R-861 receiver from a local seller who supposedly didn’t know what he was selling.

According to the manual, this is the 100 WPC beast with 120 WPC at 8 Ohm dynamic output power, 0.02 % THD / 0.02% intermodulation distortion and 10Hz to 60 kHz power bandwidth. The driver stage has MOSFET transistors and the manual claims that “improved open-loop performance reduces the need for negative feedback”. The Kyocera has 3-position parametric equalizer that could be bypassed and a quartz PLL FM tuner with a lot of bells and whistles.

The R-861 was in such a great cosmetic shape that I was not surprised that everything works as it should without apparent need for Deoxit treatment etc. I ran it for a couple of weeks in my main system and the verdict is that the R-861 is a great receiver but it might require careful choice of speakers OR just a listener who likes its sound.

As you might know, the word “Kyocera” means “Kyoto Ceramics”. This allows understanding of the sound that R-861 produces: imagine you hold a cup made of a good porcelain and slightly hit its top with the silver spoon. You hear the sound- clear, crisp, light and charming, with a lot of high notes but obviously thin on bass.

The Kyocera excels in high and mid-frequencies up to the point that both my wife and I were close to the listening fatigue. However, the bass was not there and use of the equalizer did not help much. There was plenty of clear power. The soundstage was outstanding: instruments were positioned such as each of them sounded from a defined “spot” or “point” rather than from a certain region of space as my other gear including Nak 4A. The vocal was clear and crisp and overall great. Probably, these features are characteristics of the MOSFET amplifiers since my Classe CAP-80 had the same sound signature.

However, low frequencies such as drums or strings, such as the low contrabass (?) notes in Laura Branigan “Self Control” sounded not as rich or “juicy” if you will as with the Nak 4A. This is the main reason why the R-861 did not dethrone the Nak.

The overall design of the R-861 is very well-thought; in fact, I think it’s the best of all receivers/amplifiers I have seen. For example, the amp-preamp jumpers were replaced with normally disconnected pre output and main input jacks and a switch that allows using them as separates or connected. The speaker terminals accept bare wires; however, if you need banana connection, four jacks are provided for speakers A. Phono input jacks are gold-plated. Most of controls that you normally don’t use are hidden under the little door hat flips at the bottom of the front panel. The tuner display is lighted up only if you depress the tuner button; if you use other inputs it is dark (I wonder does it mean that the tuner is powered off as in some Harman Kardon gear). By the way, the tuner is great and has excellent sensitivity.

Inside you can see a toroidal transformer (someone said it’s with dual mono winding), four filtering caps with a total of almost 25000 microfarads, and a clean design. Transistors are cooling by that famous Freon-containing tube connected to a HUGE heatsink.

So, if the R-861 has better bass, it would be a fantastic amp/receiver. Or perhaps I just need other speakers.

Attachments

• Kyocera 0.jpg
    Kyocera 0.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 789
  • Kyocera 1.jpg
    Kyocera 1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 618
  • Kyocera 2.jpg
    Kyocera 2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 620
  • Kyocera 3.jpg
    Kyocera 3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 721
  • Kyocera 4.jpg
    Kyocera 4.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 624
Here are few more pictures of the 'cera:

Attachments

• Kyocera 8.jpg
    Kyocera 8.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 435
  • Kyocera 7.jpg
    Kyocera 7.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 354
  • Kyocera 6.jpg
    Kyocera 6.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 376
  • Kyocera 5.jpg
    Kyocera 5.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 428
  • Kyocera 9.jpg
    Kyocera 9.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 398
I have the "little brother" R-661 and have just loved it's sound. You didn't mention the speakers you are using with it. I have mine set up for two different speaker sets. I use the "A" set for a pair of AR2as and the "B" set for a small pair of Phase Techs and a small sub-woofer.

I have found the sound to be pretty well balanced and the ARs don't seem that bass shy. I, also, was impressed with the design and the fine tuner incorporated in it.

You might try another speaker combination to achieve a better overall balance. Glad to hear others appreciate a nice piece of gear!

Freon cooling tunnel is a neat feature that was around only during the early to mid Eighties. I used to have a Sanyo P-55 that would sound like an AC unit after shut off. I could hear the freon circulating in the tube.

I use Bowers and Wilkins 685, which are actually bookshelf speakers.

I have the "little brother" R-661 and have just loved it's sound. You didn't mention the speakers you are using with it. I have mine set up for two different speaker sets. I use the "A" set for a pair of AR2as and the "B" set for a small pair of Phase Techs and a small sub-woofer.

I have found the sound to be pretty well balanced and the ARs don't seem that bass shy. I, also, was impressed with the design and the fine tuner incorporated in it.

You might try another speaker combination to achieve a better overall balance. Glad to hear others appreciate a nice piece of gear!

If the Toshiba 2SC3280 transistors in your photo are the output devices, that mean this has a BJT amplifier. So the MOSFET part of the amp is only in the driver stage? In theory, how does this affect the amplification compared to all BJT? Does it lend the "MOSFET sound" to an otherwise BJT amp? Interesting...

I wonder if all the higher-end Kyocera amps used this methodology.

paging wualta?

von.ah said:
paging wualta?
[sfx: WHOOSH][sfx: SKID & CRASH]
[Jeeves voice]You, ehm, paged, suh?

von.ah said:
If the Toshiba 2SC3280 transistors in your photo are the output devices, that mean this has a BJT amplifier.
Correct. The load (speaker) "sees" BJTs.

von.ah said:
So the MOSFET part of the amp is only in the driver stage?
Correct. I've had several [don't ask] R-851s, the predecessor model with MOSFET outputs, and though they all work fine now, some show signs of flaming MOSFET death in the past. Apparently some manufacturers were still learning how to use those newfangled power devices. Cybernet, the electronics mfr. Kyocera bought to get into this business, started using the then-new plastic-case versions in 1982, not long after the 1978 first-gen Hitachi devices appeared, so perhaps we can forgive them some teething troubles. Maybe.

von.ah said:
In theory, how does this affect the amplification compared to all BJT? Does it lend the "MOSFET sound" to an otherwise BJT amp?
This is an excellent question that can most likely only be answered in any depth by our own ilimzn, aka Zeljko Nastasic. My gut feeling is that the only way to get MOSFET sound is to have MOSFETs talking to the voice coils. But maybe there's a way to "perfume" the sound, similar to the way people use tube buffers to lend a tube scent to the sound of transistor gear. EDIT: Here's Zeljko talking about this very thing in Kyocera's high-end power amps on Vintage Knob. Can we assume the same holds true for the R-461/661/861 receivers? I think so: "The power amp... goes one further and uses MOSFETs as drivers for the output transistors, which are bipolar. I have only seen this in the A-710 [as opposed to the 810 and 910] . The sound has a special character, which I liked very very much - sort of the best of MOSFET and bipolar."

von.ah said:
I wonder if all the higher-end Kyocera amps used this methodology.
The A-710 did (described above). Don't know about the 810 or 910. The earlier B-901 amp used MOSFET outputs.

Last edited:
I tied to use this Kyocera as a preamp feeding the signal into the STASIS power section of the Nakamichi TA-4A. The expectation was that the clear and crisp MOSFET sound will be amplified by STASIS with the appearance of a strong punch and a good bass.

The results were exactly the oposite: MOSFET sound was gone and expected punch and bass were not heard. In other words, the "hybrid" acquired the worst treats of both amps. Just could't listed to this.

That could be because there are no MOSFETs in the R-861's preamp (there may be small-signal FETs in the preamp, I don't know). But you say there's a lack of bass in the R-861 and you seem to have narrowed this down to the preamp. A lack of bass was never a problem with the R-851s, trust me, so I think something's amiss with your preamp. Try another known-good preamp feeding the power amp section of your 861 and see if the bass comes back.

I'm wondering if Kyocera changed something for the worse in the 861's preamp section, though a quick look inside would lead one to believe everything was pretty much the same. Let's see if any other 861 owners have had similar problems.

I tied to use this Kyocera as a preamp feeding the signal into the STASIS power section of the Nakamichi TA-4A. The expectation was that the clear and crisp MOSFET sound will be amplified by STASIS with the appearance of a strong punch and a good bass.

The results were exactly the oposite: MOSFET sound was gone and expected punch and bass were not heard. In other words, the "hybrid" acquired the worst treats of both amps. Just could't listed to this.

I've heard the STASIS in the Nak TA-2A and the PA-7 and I would not describe either of them as having strong punch and good bass.

I've heard the STASIS in the Nak TA-2A and the PA-7 and I would not describe either of them as having strong punch and good bass.

I haven't heard PA-7 but would disagree on the Nak. I just had TA-2A recapped and it has strong punch and good bass in my system. However, it did not match the Nak TA-4A with which I compared the Kyocera. Of all the amps that were in my main system, vintage and not that vintage, the TA-4A has the strongest punch and the best bass. Perhaps, it' s because my B&W 685 speakers need something serious to pump them:scratch2:

I think the biggest problem with the Kyocera is that you were listening to Laura Branigan with it!

Theoretically it could be that way; however I played music of different genres on Kyocera and in all cases that was the lack of bass. I have a near mint record of DC Lacroix “Crack of Doom” (RastaFish, I believe you know who they are :D:yes:) that I will try on Kyocera.

I use the R-861 in my bedroom with a Thorens TD318 MK III and a set of Spendor LS3/5A's. Prior to this, I had a pair of Tannoy System 10 DMTII's in here (10" woofer's, not bass shy at all). I have yet to see any shyness in bass at all. The LS3/5A's are known to not be flat, so bass was always more present, but it's no less than if I had them running though another setup. I find this tuner superb for my setup. I really love the sound it gives me on jazz, where the hi-hat comes through beautifully over a big band, so important when listening. The staging that this thing gives is incredible. I agree, not a general area of where the sound is. I can point to the exact spot where that noise is coming from.

I have my computer running though this amp, along with a T antenna for FM. As you said, great, very fine tuner in this unit. I like the tuner screen turning off. It's not distracting.

Overall, sweet tuner!

Your comments about the R-861 and thin bass match my impressions exactly. Nice imaging and soundstage, but the lack of bass and somewhat hard mids and highs became tiresome. I like Kyocera gear and have had a few 861's, but there are much better receivers from that era, many which are true audiophile in every way. Do like the freon cooling tube...

Your comments about the R-861 and thin bass match my impressions exactly. Nice imaging and soundstage, but the lack of bass and somewhat hard mids and highs became tiresome. I like Kyocera gear and have had a few 861's, but there are much better receivers from that era, many which are true audiophile in every way. Do like the freon cooling tube...

What speakers have you used with them? Is it possible that they could be contributing to the weak bass that you've noticed?

I haven't heard PA-7 but would disagree on the Nak. I just had TA-2A recapped and it has strong punch and good bass in my system. However, it did not match the Nak TA-4A with which I compared the Kyocera. Of all the amps that were in my main system, vintage and not that vintage, the TA-4A has the strongest punch and the best bass. Perhaps, it' s because my B&W 685 speakers need something serious to pump them:scratch2:

Theoretically it could be that way; however I played music of different genres on Kyocera and in all cases that was the lack of bass. I have a near mint record of DC Lacroix “Crack of Doom” (RastaFish, I believe you know who they are :D:yes:) that I will try on Kyocera.

I have had the 861, and the Nak TA-2A. Didn't like either of them.

Had a Kyocera R-861 too and sold it awhile back. The only thing that kept me from keeping it was the slider volume control and the "dated" looks. Sounded ok to me, but nothing to special I remember.

Back
Top Bottom