Yamaha MC-705 cart

Harvey/ Ga

I've been seeing the Yamaha MC-705 cartridge popping up, mainly on PX-3 TT's.

Other then that it's a moving coil cart, I can find little info on it. I'd guess that needles for the 705's are a factory replacement item...if they are available??

You're lucky in this case, as the MC-705 isn't one of Yamaha's own MCs, but a rebadged Audio Technica model, which belongs to the comparatively small number of MCs with replaceable needles - and these are still available from quite a few sources. And you've even got the choice between low and high output, as you can put either the ATN3100E/XE or the ATN3200E/XE needles on your Yamaha.

Whereas if you had one of Yamaha's own MCs, you could only try to get it retipped nowadays, as Yamaha doesn't make carts anymore (they quit that part of business ca. 10 years ago) and has also stopped the replacement programme, which was pretty much the same as what other manufactuers offered: Bring your old MC back to the dealer and take a new replacement home with you for quite a bit less than the regular price. And often enough one could alternatively choose to get a rebate on a better model, if one wanted to upgrade at the same time.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: How do you like your AKG K240S? For me, while I surely wouldn't call it the most neutral headphone on the planet, it nevertheless is one of the most enjoyable phones in my collection, and a very comfy one at that (unless one doesn't like pleather earpads...).

P.S.: How do you like your AKG K240S? For me, while I surely wouldn't call it the most neutral headphone on the planet, it nevertheless is one of the most enjoyable phones in my collection, and a very comfy one at that (unless one doesn't like pleather earpads...).

Hi Manfred..
Thanks for the quick reply!!
I'm very pleased with my K240's. I wish that I could afford a "collection", but headphones don't come on E-bay or the thrift shops that often. :tears:

My only other serious headphones were Koss Pro4A's...from the early 1980's, when I had my first good cassette deck, a Dual C-939. I've often thought about Sennheiser 600's or Beyerdynamics DT-880's, but there's no place that I can go to listen to them, and on a retiree's (pensioner's?) income, I can't afford to buy something that I won't be happy with.

Hmmm... you live in Munich. My maternal grandmother came from a small town near Hemer.

One of the differences that I find with most MCs over MM is with massed violins, the string section of a major orchestra. They seem clearer somehow not that I have ever done A/B comparisons. They are TK5e Signets BTW.

Back
Top Bottom