So You Want To Repair Audio gear, Eh? Here's the tools you need...

As you implictitly mention -to those that did't know- there is a difference between Phillips, Pozidriv/Supradriv and JIS.
And for most of the gear I work on, JIS is a lifesaver. I think Adcom is the only modern-ish gear I have that isn't made in Japan, or somewhere in Asia.

I haven't read the entire thread... 29 pages, but I find a row of RCA and other audio type jacks important for testing purposes. It's mounted to the first tier shelf of the test bench. I have a Technics receiver with it's inputs/output cables running to the back of the row. They are each labled, like "Aux, phono, tape 1". This way, I never have to turn it around to make connections. Also, I have multiple outlet boxes mounted conveniently in various places.

I haven't read the entire thread... 29 pages, but I find a row of RCA and other audio type jacks important for testing purposes. It's mounted to the first tier shelf of the test bench. I have a Technics receiver with it's inputs/output cables running to the back of the row. They are each labled, like "Aux, phono, tape 1". This way, I never have to turn it around to make connections. Also, I have multiple outlet boxes mounted conveniently in various places.
Photo?

We had similar setups in my shop, when I had it. The forman was industrially ingenious and practical. If I'd only had a bookkeeper as good.

Being retired I decided to pick up electronic component repair recently as a hobby if for no other reason than to maintain my own 2 CH audio and Ham Radio equipment. All of my stuff is old like me so I took the approach of I can use old stuff to fix old stuff. Some of it is new but I try to be thrifty when I can and some of this I already had from years past. What I have got so far is the following;

Oscilloscopes, a digital Siglent SDS 1052DL I found new on eBay for $140 and an analog Tektronix Type 503 for $50 off FB Marketplace.
Wavetek 144 Signal Generator off eBay for $150
Tektronix Type 106 Square-Wave Generator off FB Marketplace for $50
HP 5314A Universal Counter off eBay for $85
Toroid ISB-060W Medical Isolation Transformer off eBay for $115
Heathkit IP-2715 6-15V DC, 25 Amp linear power supply at a thrift store for $5
Heathkit IT-28 Capacitor Checker off eBay many years ago for $35
Heathkit V-7A Vacuum Tube Multimeter off eBay many years ago for $10
Heathkit IN-37 Resistance Substitution Box at an estate sale for $5
FLUKE AN/77 DMM I have had forever, free
FLUKE 8840A bench DMM off eBay for $160
HAKKO FX-888-D soldering station from Amazon $124
HAKKO FR-301 desoldering gun from Amazon $254, most expensive splurge item to date.
DIY Dummy Load and DIM Blub Tester for about $120 total.

That hits all the high-water marks, for consumables & test leads another couple C-Notes so about $1,500 total. For repair parts anything I need new Digikey seems to be the best game in town and if used I go dumpster diving on eBay. Everything else seems to be Amazon, give Bezo another dollar.

My first successful repair was the Heathkit IP-2715 that needed a new IC and transistor. Next up was a Sansui R-70 Receiver with a dead channel and some bad Caps, Caps are repaired but still on the hunt for a 11907600 selector switch.

In the hopper I have the Tektronix Type 503 (waiting on a tube), B+K Precision 2040 CB Signal Generator (waiting on a test lead), Hallicrafters SX-100 Receiver (waiting on a tool), Hammerlund HX-500 Transmitter (haven't touch) and a Realistic 999B RTR that won't power up.

Speaking of tools, WTF is up with a Bristol Spline Tool (fancy allen wrench). I need one to remove the knobs off the vintage 1962 SX-100 Receiver so I bought the $24 set only to need a size that wasn't in that set and had to go buy the $34 set. I could have bought a fist full of allen wrenches for that amount.

On the educational front YouTube University is my go to place for all things electronic and a couple vintage equipment forums.

Anyway, new here and just wanted to contribute to this thread.

Dennis

As you implictitly mention -to those that did't know- there is a difference between Phillips, Pozidriv/Supradriv and JIS.
Indeed there is --
Before I knew about JIS; and what that little dot on the screwhead means, I stripped ONE screwhead on a very expensive piece of kit that I own.. Ahem.
Very deep and hard to get at -- a lesson that cannot be forgotten.

I also have a Vessel Impacta JIS screwdriver which you hit the head of the driver, and it works like an impact, way cool IMHO.

Oh and,
Welcome Mr Dennis -- very nice set of tools you have there as well --electronically speaking!
Yes, your, (and my) Hakko 301 is a jewel as well -- wouldn't be without it, after the initial bite it took out of my wallet.
Just bought the Hakko FA-400 while Hakko had it on sale, YES!
Being without a fume extractor, is a nasty way to work.

Last edited:
i keep one of these on the bench for water for my sponge ....or ????

1712876336692.png

i just had it from my days painting cars and cleaning my guns. i don't know that i would go buy one just for the bench.

Back
Top Bottom